Special Recognition Award
(John M. Rumsey, M.D. Award for Special Recognition)
This Award, to be known as John M. Rumsey, M.D. Award for Special Recognition, is hereby established by the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs (“Association”) effective this 15th day of July, 1993.
WHEREAS, the County of San Diego has been and continues to be recognized as a world-wide center of yachting activity; and
WHEREAS, the Association annually recognizes the outstanding service to yachting beyond normal obligations by individuals, business firms, fraternal organizations, boating groups and governmental bodies by awarding the Alonzo de Jessop Memorial Award; and
WHEREAS, the Association annually recognizes the outstanding achievements and contributions to the sport of yachting by individual men and women by awarding the Yachtsman of the Year and the Yachtswoman of the Year Awards; and
WHEREAS, the Association annually recognizes the significant contribution to junior sailing activity in San Diego County by awarding the Paul J. Hartley Memorial Award; and
WHEREAS, many men and women have distinguished themselves through their contribution and participation in regattas, committees, boards, boating organizations and other activities beyond the boundaries of San Diego County, but whose achievements do not come within the criteria set forth in the Deeds of Gifts for the awards now given by the Association; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors of the Association has deemed it to be in the best interest of the Association and in the best interests of all local participants in water sport activities, to establish a special award of distinction to recognize those persons who through their contribution and participation beyond the County of San Diego have made a special contribution to the sport of yachting in various of its aspects.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs hereby establishes the John M. Rumsey, M.D. Award for Special Recognition in honor of Staff Commodore John M. Rumsey, M.D., a founder and the first Commodore of San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs whose vision and foresight contributed significantly to the sport of yachting in San Diego County. The John M. Rumsey, M.D. Award for Special Recognition to be awarded not more frequently than annually shall be made upon the following terms and conditions:
1. It is not intended that this award replace or in any manner modify or amend the provisions of any other Deed of Gift of award issued by and under the direction of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs.
2. Any person who has distinguished himself or herself in the national or international yachting community by participation in any regattas, boating or yachting organizations or activities is eligible for this Award. Such participation may have been over a protracted period of time.
3. Any member yacht club of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs may at any time submit a name or names for consideration by the Board of Directors of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs. Such submission should include the candidates name, address and telephone number, a brief narrative of the candidate’s activities which the nominating yacht club has determined makes such candidate eligible for the award, a resolution by the board of directors of the nominating yacht club stating such board has duly considered such nomination and endorses the candidate for the award, and, if appropriate, articles, newspaper clippings, video or photographs about the candidate or the candidate’s activities.
4. In the event of multiple nominations during any calendar year, multiple awards may be given if in the sole discretion of the Board of Directors of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs and with the concurrence of a majority of the commodores for each of the full-member yacht clubs sitting as a committee of the whole it is determined that multiple awards be given. Otherwise, except as provided herein, the determination of the recipient of the award shall be within the sole discretion of the Board of Directors of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs.
5. The Commodore of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs shall be at the March meeting of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs each year provide a copy of this Deed of Gift to each member yacht club present. Any award to be given shall be made at the December meeting of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Commodore and Secretary of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs have duly affixed their signatures this 15th day of July, 1993 attesting that the adoption of this Deed of Gift was duly approved at a meeting of the San Diego Association of Yacht Clubs on the 15th day of July, 1993.
/s/ H. Halleland
|1994||Joe Londrigan||2006||Jerelyn Biehl|
|1995||Not Awarded||2007||Rod McLennan|
|1996||Ruppert Hansen||2008||Not Awarded|
|1997||Jon Rogers, Tim Wadlow
|1998||Paul Pettit||2010||Cleve Hardaker
|1999||Phil Arms||2011||Charles Nichols
|2000||Charlie Arms||2012||E. Woodrow Hunt, M.D.|
|2001||George Szabo III||2013||William Campbell
|2002||Stan Betts||2014||Bill Hardesty|
|2003||Not Awarded||2015||Terry Gleeson, George M. Szabo III|
|2004||Whit Davis||2016||Willem Van Waay, Caleb Paine, Briana Provancha|